To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions.  If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply. Library cards are free.

What type of Children's Services do you have?

We offer pre-school Story Time. Call for a schedule.

Summer Reading program, a wide variety of fiction/non-fiction books, children's title DVDs

What other services are offered:

Public Computers; Wi-Fi Internet Access; PS4 Gaming Station; Books: adult, large type print, young adult, children and board books; Rotating Books Collection (changes every 2 months); Inter Library Loan; DVDs; Printer/Scanner/Copy/Fax machine; Special Needs Services: large type print books, talking books, Braille service 

City Hall

Where is City Hall located?

116 W Main Street, next door to the Post Office.

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8 am - 4:30 pm Monday thru Friday.

When are where are city council meetings?

City Council meets the first Monday of every month at 6:00 pm (unless it's a holiday) at City Hall, 116 W Main Street.  The meeting room in the back room.  Parking is available in the alley.

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Solomon, What do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available. Please ensure you meet the qualificaitons for the position you wish to be considered for. If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application.  You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Intereviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Solomon hire part-time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time, seasonal employees for the swimming pool.  

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Solomon, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Solomon hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time, seasonal employees for the swimming pool.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

If you will be making changes to the structure of your home or any type of addition to the house or the property (including fences, out buildings, car ports, concrete pads), contact the Building Inspector. 

More information is availabe under the Residents tab, Building Permits & Inspections.

Do I need a fence around my pool?

A fence permit is required for pools with water depth of 2 ft or more.

Do I need a permit for a roof?

Yes!  All roofs needs a permit and the roofing contractors MUST BE registered and in good standing with the Kansas Attorney General's office.  Please check to make sure your contractor is registered before you hire them.

Where are my property lines?

Property lines are identified by the property pins in the corners of the property.  If you cannot find the pins, you must hire a private surveyor to accurately survey the property boundary.  The City of Solomon does not provide this service.

Animal Services

Does the City require pets to be registered?

Annual registration of dogs and cats shall be due January 1st and payable by March 1st of each and every year.  You must provide proof of valid rabies vaccination.

Does the City have a dog pound?

Yes, it's for the City's use only.  Any stray pets or pets running at large are housed in the dog pound until the owner can be located.  Watch our Facebook page. We post a photo and description of impounded pets.

Does the City have any breed specific bans?

The following animals are prohibited within city limits:

1. Any domestic livestock or fowl

2. Any warm blooded, carnivorous or omnivorous, wild or exotic animals

3. Any animal having poisonous bites

4. Any pit bull dog including mixed breeds

Are chickens allowed in city limits?

YES!  No more than 6 hens are allowed.  A current and valid permit are required.  Contact City Hall for further information.

Fire Department

Are burn permits required in the City?

Yes.  Office staff will issue a Burn Permit.  It is valid for 7 days. There is no charge.  Make sure you meet the guidelines set forth under the Residents tab, Emergency Services, Fire Department.

Are burn bans issued?

Yes, the Fire Chief can place a burn ban in the fire district (city and Lincoln township) when he deems it necessary.  There is a map that is updated on Dickinson County website:  www.dkcoks.gov Go to the Home page, and click the View All button under What's Happening at Dickinson County.  There is  Burn Restriction Map on the menu to the left.

Gas & Electric Utilities

Who do I call if I don't have electricity?

Electrical service is provided by DSO Electric.  Report outages to 1-800-376-3533.

I noticed the street light on my street is not working, how do I report it?

DSO Electric takes care of the street lights.  Please report the problem to 785-655-2011.

Water & Sewer Utilities

How do I get my water turned on?

Please contact City Hall at 785-655-3311.  An application for service can be found under the Residents tab, Utility Rates & Policies.  Scroll to the bottom of the page under Revelant Documents.

How do I pay my water bill?

We offer several payment options.  Look under the Residents tab, Payment Options.

When are bills due?

Payment of accounts is due by the 15th of each month.  The city shall send delinquent notices for nonpayment of service fees to the customer on the 16th of the month.  A late fee of 10% will be added to the charges.  Termination of service shall occur if such utility fee or charge is not paid in full at the city office by the close of business on the 28th day of the month.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect, or you may have a break in the water line serving your home. Water softners sometimes get stuck wide open and continually run water. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Check to make sure your water heater is functioning properly. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

Who do I call if I don't have water?

Call City Hall at 785-655-3311 during business hours (8:00 am to 4:30 pm).  Outside of those hours or on weekends, call Dickinson County Emergency Communications at 785-263-4041.  They will page our Maintenance Department.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

The City of Solomon hosts the polling site for residents of the City of Solomon, Lincoln township and Garfield township.  On Election Day, park in the alley behind City Hall.  The polls are the back room of City Hall at 116 W Main Street.

All City elections are conducted by the Dickinson County Election office within the County Clerk's department.  They can answer any questions you have about your voter registration status, running for election  or general election information.  Visit the County Clerk's website at www.dkcoks.gov.